Salisbury Sound underwent overhaul in the Hunters Point Naval Shipyard 26 September 1947 to 16 February 1948, then shifted to her base at San Diego for refresher exercises in the area off San Clemente Island. She cleared San Diego on 12 March 1948 and steamed by the way of Pearl Harbor to deliver aviation cargo at Apra Harbor, Guam, and Manila, Philippine Islands, before arrival at Buckner Bay, Okinawa, 7 April 1948. After off-load of aviation cargo, she got underway the following day for similar deliveries at Tsingtao and Yokosuka. She returned to Buckner Bay on 30 April and got underway for tender services at Yokosuka (18 May-2 July); Tsingtao (5-21 July); and Shanghai (23-26 July). She resumed duty at Buckner Bay on 20 July 1948 and returned to Tsingtao on 14 August to tend patrol planes of Fleet Air Wing One. On 5 September 1948, at Tsingtao, she acted as conference ships for Rear Admiral R.P. McDonnell (Commander Fleet Air Wing One); Captain J.B. Taylor (Commander Destroyer Division (One); Vice Admiral Oscar C. Badger (Commander Naval Forces, Western Pacific); and Dr. Stuart (American Ambassador to China). Having embarked passengers, she got underway from Tsingtao on 22 September to load aviation cargo at Apra Harbor, Guam, then picked up an amphibious plane and passengers at Ponape in the Caroline Islands on 1 October 1948. She put to sea on the latter date and embarked more passengers at Pearl Harbor before arrival at San Diego on 15 October 1948. Upkeep at San Pedro (18 October 1948-10 January 1949), was followed by training in local areas out of San Diego.
Salisbury Sound cleared San Diego on 15 January and arrived at Port Hueneme, California, the following day to embark men of the Naval Schools Construction Battalion Center and their snow-removal equipment before her arrival at Seattle, 19 January 1949. She became the Flagship of Commander Fleet Air Wing Four, 27 January, and got underway for Takutat, Alaska. She arrived at the latter port on 30 January, debarking her student passengers and their equipment for special exercises ashore until 6 February, when the last of her student passengers and their equipment were again aboard. She put to sea the following day for Kokiak, where Commander Air Wing Four hauled down his flag on 15 February 1949. After touching at Seward, Alaska (17-21 February); and Seattle (25-26 February), she debarked her student passengers at Port Hueneme on 3 Mar, returned to her base at San Diego the following day. She became the Flagship of Vice Admiral G.F. Bogan (Commander First Task Fleet) on 25 March 1949. Training in local waters off San Diego and off San Clemente Island were conducted until 17 June, when Vice Admiral Bogan departed the ship. She entered the Hunters Point Shipyard for upkeep and repairs on 29 June and returned to San Diego on 10 September 1949 for a busy schedule of refresher training off Coronado Roads and San Clemente Island.
Salisbury Sound departed San Diego on 24 November 1949 and reached Pearl Harbor six days later. She got underway on 4 November and anchored two miles off Kussie Island, East Carolines, 13 Nov. She embarked a Congressional party of 10 persons and Rear Admiral L.S. Fiske, Deputy Commissioner of Trust Territories, along with his staff for an inspection tour of Kussie and Mokil Islands. She debarked the party at Ponape Island on 17 November 1949 and steamed by way of Guam and Manila to arrive at Hong Kong on 1 December 1949. She tended planes of VP-42 at that port until 6 February 1940, then shifted to Subic Bay in the Philippine Islands. She resumed duty at Hong Kong on 12 April and cleared port on 11 May for exercises off Sangley Point, Luzon before loading aircraft at Guam (27-29 May 1950). She put to sea on the latter day and steamed by way of Pearl Harbor for return to San Diego on 13 June 1950. After voyage repair in the San Francisco Naval Shipyard, she embarked passengers, including men of VP-42, and sailed from San Diego on 26 July bound for the Far East. She debarked her passengers at Pearl Harbor on 1 August and to sea the next day, carrying some 700 passengers destined for the VP-1, VP-2, and VP-4 of Fleet Air Service Squadron and Army units in Japan. Four helicopters and an equal number of SNBS of the Fleet Air Service Squadron were loaded on her seaplane deck. She reached Yokosuka on 11 August 1950, debarking her passengers and their equipment, and took on new aviation cargo and passengers for transport to Apra Harbor, Guam. She arrived at the latter port on 20 August, debarked her passengers, then loaded patrol bomber spare parts and eight jet fighters for delivery to Naha Harbor, Okinawa, 25 August 1950. She reported to Commander Seventh Fleet for duty that day and shifted to Buckner Bay for operations under Commander Service Squadron Three (Commander Task Group 70.7). On 3 September she serviced seven Mariners of VP-46 and two Sunderlands of the 88th Royal Air Force Squadron, which had sortied on typhoon evacuation from their base at Iwakuni, Japan.
On 6 September 1950, Salisbury Sound arrived at Iwakuni, Japan, and reported for duty to Commander Fleet Air Wing Six. She commenced service to VP-42 and VP-47, which had eleven Mariners present on that day plus three Sunderlands of the 88th Squadron of the Royal Air Force. These units comprised the seaplane and reconnaissance of Task Force Ninety-Six supporting the operations of Task Force Seventy-Seven and Task Group 96.5. Four additional Mariners had arrived on 9 September 1950 when Salisbury Sound became Flagship of Commander Fleet Wing Six. She now became the operating base for all seaplanes in the Patrol and Reconnaissance Force (*Task Force 99) tending eight Sunderlands of the 88th Squadron of the Royal Air Force, seven planes of VP-47 and nine planes of VP-42. On 16 September Commander Fleet Air Wing Six shifted his Flag, along with pilots and crew of VP-47, to sea plane tender Curtis (AV-4), controlling all flights from that ship. Salisbury Sound continued seadrome control until 18 September, then took on aviation fuel at Kure, returning to Iwakuni on 21 September 1960. She reported for duty to Commander Air Wing One (task Group 70.6) on 23 September and shifted to base at Buckner Bay, Okinawa, on the 26th. She laid 18 buoys in the seaplane anchorage and on 2 October five Mariners of VP-46 (Southern Search and Reconnaissance Force), arrived from the Pescadores Islands to escape the fury of a typhoon. These planes conducted nightly reconnaissance and patrol flights of the Formosa Straits from the Salisbury Sound until 10 October, when they again terminated their flights in the Pescadores. Meantime she had hoisted the flag of Commander Fleet Air Wing One on 5 October 1950. Winds and heavy seas again threatened the seadrome in the Pescadores on 19 October, and Mariners of VP-46 there once again shifted gradually to base from Salisbury Sound. On 2 November 1950 she entered the harbor of Naha, transferring 30,000 gallons of gasoline to Y-53 for delivery to the Naval Base before return to Buckner Bay the same day. She continued direction and tending of the Mariners' search and reconnaissance flights until 27 November 1950 when Commander Fleet Wing One shifted his flag to Gardiners Bay (AVP-39).
Salisbury Sound arrived at Iwakuni, Japan 20 November 1950, and hoisted the flag of Commander Air Wing Six. She relived Curtis (AV-4) of seadrome control and began tending nine Mariners of VP-42 and four Royal Air Force Sunderlands, operating from Iwakuni. On 1 December, seven Mariners of VP-47 arrived, and on the 21st, Commander Fleet Air Wing Six transferred his flag to Curtis. On 15 December 1950, Salisbury Sound returned to Buckner Bay and relieved Gardiners Bay (AVP-39) as flag ship of Commander Fleet Air Wing One. She now commenced service for the detachment of five Marines of VP-46, stationed at Buckner Bay, and three Mariners of the same squadron, stationed at Sangley point, Luzon, Philippine Islands. These units conducted search and reconnaissance flights out of Buckner Bay and completed courier flights between Sangley Point and Hong Kong. Commencing 6 January 1951, she supported Anti-Submarine Warfare Training Element 7016 comprising a Land Plane Air Search and Attack Unit (9 P2V4s of VP-22); a Seaplane Air Search and Attack Unit (9 Mariners of VP-46); and Fleet Submarine Besugo (SS-321). This duty terminated on 16 January 1951 and Salisbury Sound resumed her daily direction of reconnaissance flight and tender services.
Commander Fleet Air Wing One departed Salisbury Sound on 30 day emergency leave on 2 March 1951, and her Commanding Officer assumed the flag duties until the 9th when she arrived at Sangley Point, Luzon, Philippine Islands. She got underway on 11 March for return to the west coast of United States, touching at Guam and Pearl Harbor before her arrival at San Diego, 31 March 1951. She conducted training exercises out of that port with visits to Monterey and San Francisco. On 24 May 1951 she broke the flag of Vice Admiral A.D. Struble, Commander First Fleet, who departed the ship on 3 June. Five days later she embarked men of VP-47, then sailed for Whidbey Island, Washington, where operational readiness was completed on the 18th for the Mariners who took off for return to the Naval Air Station at Alameda. Salisbury Sound returned to San Diego where on 26 June she embarked the Chief of Staff of Fleet Air Wing Fourteen and stood out to sea for operational readiness inspection, terminated 28 June 1951. She completed a similar inspection on 23 July and cleared San Diego on 1 August 1951 for another tour of duty in the Far East. Steaming by way of Pearl Harbor, she arrived at Boko Ko, Pescadores Islands, 22 August 1951. That same day she relieved Pine Island as Flagship of Commander Fleet Air Wing One and became the base for Mariner planes of VP-47. She departed Boko Ko 10 October 1951 and sailed by way of Hong Kong to base at Buckner Bay, Okinawa (18 October 1951-21 February 1952). On the latter date she was relieved as Flagship of Commander Air Wing One by Pine Island (AV-12).